Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Sudoku Xtra discussion forums
Back to main Sudoku Xtra site

Advanced

Issue 20

Posted by Christine 
Issue 20
September 10, 2012 07:38PM
I thought it was about time I came on here and said how much I am enjoying Issue 20 - so many new varieties to try out - some with more success than others!

My favourites are the XV, the arrow sudoku, Mystery Killer Sudoku Pro (I haven't done the Zero one yet but have a feeling that one might be a bit beyond me - loved the others though), Frame Sudoku, and Little Killer. I also like the worm and thermometer sudokus just not quite as much.
Kropkis are great too - a bit of a challenge to get started sometimes and then they suddenly take off!

I missed the odd pair sudoku but then I can find that on your Puzzlemix forum. It was great to see the return of the inequality sudoku and also yajlin.

For some reason I can't get going on the Argyle sudoku - with all those diagonal lines I'm surprised how tricky they are. I must have another go when I feel at my most patient!!

Anyway, all in all it's been keeping me going for ages. Can't wait for the next issue but it's ok - still plenty to keep me busy for a while yet!
Sue
Re: Issue 20
September 13, 2012 12:22PM
Hi Christine

Agree that this is another really great issue with even more new variants. Thank you Gareth!

You seem ahead of me on some but I loved the Daffodil on the cover, and finally managed to finish the Argyle ones last night, so do persevere. I enjoyed them, but had several false starts with one bottom left one. Agree its good to see inequalities back after quite a long gap, but also missed the odd/evens. A bit stuck on the Samurai Star this time. I'm sure must be missing something blindingly obvious.

Todays target is to attempt the Offset ones. Anybody done these yet?

Looking forward to Issue 21 (but not yet!). Last 2 issues have really been excellent.

Sue
Sue
September 18, 2012 11:47AM
PS. Mystery Killer...... Brilliant (eventually!)
Amanda
September 22, 2012 05:59PM
Hello, I've been a long time getting started (trying hard to resist while finishing other things!), but Mystery Killer caught my eye first and I agree it's really good! Now I'm enjoying Quad Sudoku very much too.

Amanda
September 25, 2012 08:29PM
Still haven't managed the Mystery Killer, but have just done the Zero Killer (at the end of the set of ordinary Killer Sudoku) and really enjoyed it.
Could we please have more Kropki in the next issue too - love those!
sue
September 26, 2012 09:22AM
Just popped back to say that, as well as all Gareth's variants, I finally got around to the Snail puzzle on page 50. Really enjoyed it over my coffee. Is Serkan Yurekli a new contributor, or have I just overlooked these before?

Also am still stuck on the straightforward Samurai Star on page 9. Usually OK with these and love them. Is it just me? I feel I am missing something very obvious. About to start again from scratch...... 3rd time lucky hopefully.

Sue

PS Christine, enjoyed the Zero Killer too. Keep going with the Mystery ones, amazing how many ways there are to make a 3! I missed a couple on first attempt. Not cracked the zero tho yet tho. 2 failed attempts so far!
September 26, 2012 08:14PM
Hi Sue, I'm not doing too badly with the mystery killers in that I've completed the first two and looking forward to the third one. As for the zero, I've had a look at it, and looked at a few possibilities but not getting anywhere quick.

I haven't done the samurai star yet - I'll have a look at it over the next day or two and see how I get on - will let you know.

Amanda - I've enjoyed the quad sudoku too.
September 27, 2012 07:46PM
Sue - I am also stuck with the samurai star! Just done the Snail puzzles on your recommendation and really enjoyed them. I would love to have more of these. The logic reminded me a bit of the ABC End View puzzles.
sue
September 28, 2012 08:56AM
Hi Christine

I am sorry you are also stuck but really glad it is not just me! I have a quieter day today so might give it one more go. I hate to give up so am hoping for a lightbulb moment. Before that I am off to find the ABC End View puzzles you mentioned. A new one to me. Glad you enjoyed the snail too.

Am looking forward to new issue now too.

Sue
Jane
October 03, 2012 09:58PM
Loved Issue 20 so much that took 1 copy on holiday when I finished the ones i could and then started all over again when I got back!!

Whens 21 out? And PLEASE, lots more Kropki - LOVE those as well as all the others Sues mentioned
October 04, 2012 12:00AM
Issue 21 should be out sometime late next week - fingers crossed! smiling smiley
October 18, 2012 07:46AM
Any more news on Issue 21?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Sudoku Xtra ©Gareth Moore 2009 - email gareth@sudokuxtra.com - get puzzles for your own publication