Advanced

Sudoku Xtra 24?

Posted by utahgamer 
Sudoku Xtra 24?
November 21, 2013 05:43PM
Should we expect issue 24 soon?
Re: Sudoku Xtra 24?
November 26, 2013 03:02PM
That's a good question! I have been holding off replying because I wanted to reply saying "It's out today!", but I'm not that far yet so the answer is it will definitely be out before Christmas. I've been intensively working on a bunch of other projects and keep pushing Sudoku Xtra back, which I probably shouldn't have done but anyway... On the other hand, I hope these projects will significantly benefit Sudoku Xtra in the long run. Thank you for everyone's patience, and I really must apologise for the delay.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/26/2013 03:03PM by gareth.
December 25, 2013 02:35PM
Sadly other things outside my control intervened, but Sudoku Xtra is not forgotten!

Happy Christmas nonetheless!
December 26, 2013 04:46AM
Any idea how soon we can expect 24?
February 06, 2014 11:51PM
Today. smiling smiley
sue
February 11, 2014 09:46AM
Hello again all

A new issue is always a highlight of my puzzling life so thank you very much Gareth. I was concerned that you were giving up on it! I do hope we don't have to wait quite so long for the No 25 but good to know you are busy with new books. Nothing quite hits the spot like Xtra though for me. Always full of variety and challenge. Even the "easier" puzzles are interesting. Also I love the downloadable format.

I dived into this issue looking for new variants and challenges and have not been disappointed. So far I have really enjoyed the interlocking overlapping 2 grid ones and the mystery multiples are good. I usually find the normal "multiples" a bit too easy (sorry if that sounds a bit big headed) but these are more challenging and interesting. I have now discovered there are a few more in the Mammoth book which I had overlooked so am happy. Last night I started one of my favourites, the SSSS, which seems satisfyingly hard this issue with less clues so progress is slow, but I do enjoy a puzzle which takes a few sessions to complete, always assuming I can that is!

I look forward to hearing news from other puzzlers and news of books in the offing. Dare I hope for an Inequalities 2, although I do still have a few of book 1 annoyingly incomplete after over a year of trying! Another Mammoth would be good too, hopefully on better paper though. Or there again a Jigsaw Extra Region, or Samurai variants........?

Meanwhile, back to Issue 24!

Sue
June 05, 2014 07:49PM
I am so happy with Sudoku Xtra 24! I love the Mystery Mutiple Sudokus and the Xtra Calcudoku this issue. I find the inequality puzzles make my brain tired, even though I enjoy the puzzles. When is Sudoku Xtra No 25 coming out gareth??????????? It's a long wait like last time.

Get back working with Sudoku Xtra 24!

gold5471
June 05, 2014 10:57PM
It's a long wait because I'm organising all of the puzzle content for the forthcoming World Puzzle Championship - see UK World Puzzle and Sudoku Championships 2014 for more information! This is the 23rd year of the tournament, and the first time it's been held in the UK.
June 07, 2014 02:03PM
Oh, ok. Make 25 when possible.
June 13, 2014 04:49PM
gareth, after the World Puzzle & Sudoku Championships you need to catch up on puzzle magazines! You’ve only released Sufoku Xtra 24 which was amazing. I reccomend making Sudoku Xtra 25 (as mentioned before) and a Sudoku Xtra Specials: 100 2-away Sudoku puzzles. Remember the puzzles in ‘the mammoth book of new sudoku’ that contained pale-grey bars instead of white (as in Consecutive Sudoku) and marked differences of 2 rather than 1. These are my favourite Sudoku variant and they’ve only been featured in one book. Meanwhile, carry on working for the championships!

From your loyal friend,

gold5471
June 13, 2014 04:55PM
Hey, it's good to know that someone liked those 2-away puzzles! I think you're the first person to have specifically mentioned them. I'm not sure there's demand for a book, but I'll certainly think about it! smiling smiley
June 15, 2014 03:56AM
Well, now, I have to say I like the 2-away as well!

Actually, I like all the consecutive type variants, so if there isn't a great demand for 100 2-away, maybe we could have a mixed book of Non-Consecutive, 2-away, 3-away, etc, Differences, Consecutive XV.

Maybe a mixed book of Extra Regions, one day? My own personal favourite in the Mammoth book were the Sudoku Centres.

Also, one day in the future, might there be another Inequalities book, mixed with Jigsaw Inequalities?

Best for the Championships, Gareth!
June 15, 2014 07:33PM
All the sudoku variants you mentioned are my favourites too!
June 16, 2014 04:48PM
After the championships, I would also like a book of 2-away puzzles. I don't mind if you don't make it because I can buy Consecutive Sudoku Volume 1. 2-away sudoku is a fun puzzle to solve, after seeing the ones in The Mammoth Book Of New Sudoku. Those 4 puzzles made me want to try more!
June 16, 2014 04:49PM
The 2-away puzzles are popular, but they have not been mentioned. Sorry that I’m late, but congrats for making the jumbo 3d sudoku book. I know you’re extremely busy, but I like spoting new books! If you make the 2-away book, make sure as usual it is announced. Also, your legendary mammoth book, which I studied just now, actually contains some unexpected Jigsaw Blackout Sudoku, I like them but they are very hard! Make sure that you are working hard with the championships but just remember if you are planning the 2-away book, it is better to use pale-grey bars rather than normal grey bars as it lets you include 5-away sudokus if you do so. I must honestly say your books are legendary, but I would say more amazing comments to you if you made a book of 2-away puzzles.

After you have read this message, get working again for the championships as you know they are very important.

From gold5471
June 16, 2014 07:28PM
I want to introduce a puzzle made by Valentin Hübner. It is called Chiiki. The rules are as follows: Divide the grid into blocks, one for each letter from A to N. There must not be more than three consecutive letters either horizontally or vertically. Also, each section must contain at least four letters. Enjoy this puzzle!
Attachments:
open | download - Chiiki.png (8 KB)
June 16, 2014 07:33PM
It is an amazing puzzle.
June 18, 2014 04:24PM
Its my turn to introduce you, gareth, and every other reader to another (hopefully) popular sudoku variant. It was made by Philipp Hübner. It’s called Group Sum Sudoku and the rules are basic: Place a number from 1-9 in each row, column and 3x3 box only once. In addition, each circled number indicates the sum of the four surrounding numbers. Enjoy the puzzle!
Attachments:
open | download - Group Sum Sudoku.png (9 KB)
July 03, 2014 07:09PM
I have now got Consecutive Sudoku Volume 1 and it is so good. Why is puzzle 100 a non-consecutive??????????? I wasn’t expecting that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2014 07:09PM by Theawaysudokuscreator.
July 03, 2014 07:12PM
Puzzle 100 is a Non-consecutive as a nice surprise for the end. smiling smiley It's still a Consecutive puzzle, technically!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2014 07:12PM by gareth.
July 03, 2014 07:12PM
2-away is awesome like 3-away!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2014 07:14PM by Theawaysudokuscreator.
July 03, 2014 07:13PM
gareth, Are you still thinking about the 2-away?? I hope you are.
July 03, 2014 07:36PM
I have got that book too, and I did spot that sneaky Non-Consecutive Sudoku. I've heard about seven or maybe more requests for 100 2-away, but I know you are busy so I'm not trying to distract you!

Best wishes,
Gold5471
December 01, 2014 06:02AM
Hey, nice discussion about extra sudoku. There are various sequences in sudoku extra, you need to know rules and features for particular.
May 17, 2015 07:32PM
PLEASE make a book of 2-away or put them in xtra 25!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Sudoku Xtra ©Gareth Moore 2009 - email gareth@sudokuxtra.com - get puzzles for your own publication