Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Sudoku Xtra discussion forums
Back to main Sudoku Xtra site

Advanced

Issue 3 Community Puzzles

Posted by Christine 
Issue 3 Community Puzzles
February 14, 2010 09:46PM
Once again, a brilliant selection of community puzzles this month, so just wanted to say thank you to all the contributors. They really bring even more variety to the magazine.

Fillominos is a puzzle I've seen before but never really had a go at. I enjoyed these as much as the puzzle L you sent in last month 'Lewis' - great fun and has inspired me to seek out some more.

The Klump puzzles were great - I thought they were going to be too easy at first but by the time I got to the third one I had revised my view - that last one took me several attempts.

I like slitherlink and masyu puzzles and so the Shotgun slitherlink were very appealing although I am still working on a couple of them.

Really enjoyed the mosaic (a tricky one for me, at least). I especially like the ABCD puzzles - I would love a whole page of those at some point. (Greedy I know!)
Re: Issue 3 Community Puzzles
February 14, 2010 11:24PM
A whole page of ABC puzzles is a great idea - I've been meaning to write some ABCs of my own for a long while. It's really not a million miles away from Sudoku, particularly if you consider the multiple gaps as a repeated digit Sudoku. So then you just have a variant where you either have the repeated element or the marked letter first in a row/column, in a broadly similar way to Outside Sudoku.

I know Dan at Clarity Media was very interested in how long it took to solve the Mosaic - we compared times already privately - so if anyone would like to post and say how long it took them then I'm sure he'd be fascinated to hear! There are quite a lot of 'tuning parameters' for difficulty, and this one apparently had a lot of unnecessary clues removed, making it harder than the average Conceptis version of the same, so it would be interesting to compare.

Fillomino is a great puzzle - puzzles two and particularly three in Sudoku Xtra issue 3 were pretty difficult, especially given their size. It's never achieved the success you'd expect of such a simple, effective, puzzle idea however - perhaps because once you get to a certain level of experience puzzles are mostly either too easy (since you know all the generally-used logic) or too hard (because essentially you have to experiment, or in other words guess!), with not much middle ground.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Sudoku Xtra ©Gareth Moore 2009 - email gareth@sudokuxtra.com - get puzzles for your own publication