Sudoku Xtra discussion forums
Back to main Sudoku Xtra site

Advanced

Issue 4

Posted by sue 
sue
Issue 4
February 26, 2010 11:57AM
Issue 4 looks terrific - stuck at home with a flu so perfect timing. The 15x15 Killer looks like a good place to start then one of the new "odd" ones. I so love new issue days and the new variants to try. Also really like the colour coding for each issue. Still have a few from issues 2,3 which have defeated/annoyed(!) me thus far but will persevere.

Thanks once again, Gareth. Happy puzzling everybody.

PS Enjoyed the mosaic last issue and still hoping for more sometime maybe perhaps possibly whenever!
Re: Issue 4
February 26, 2010 12:49PM
Sorry to hear about your flu! If you (or anyone else) manage to complete that Killer 15 puzzle then please do post here to let everyone know, and how you found it - it is a bit of an experiment, and I tried not to make it too difficult but with those somewhat larger sums it's definitely not going to be everyone's cup of tea! I thought it would be interesting to experiment and replace the 20x20 and 25x25 puzzles, since having added the 'Sudoku Xtra Specials' books that should cater for the relative minority interest in 25x25 and other super-large 'regular' puzzles I figured it was now safe to remove them! I also replaced one of the 16x16 puzzles with a 15x15, just to mix it up a bit there.

There's another mosaic this issue from Clarity Media in the Community Puzzles section, which also features some fantastic skyscraper variant puzzles from David Millar at TheGriddle.net and the original Isolate and Klump puzzles from Vexus Puzzle Design - in terms of more mosaic puzzles in the main body of the magazine it is still on the list! smiling smiley

I'm glad you like the colour coding - I quite enjoy picking the new colour for each issue! It's funny how such a simple change keeps it looking fresh each issue. In the download PDFs it's on the bands at the top and bottom, whilst in the pre-printed copies it's on the front and back cover instead.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2010 12:50PM by gareth.
sue
February 26, 2010 07:51PM
Hello Gareth

Well, I had the time and inclination to have a go at the Killer 15 and am delighted to have completed it. Really enjoyed it despite the flu-addled brain-strain and sometimes needing to be able to add upto 120 (without a mistake - hmmmm!). I thought it was interesting to have so many more combinations to consider - took me back a few years to when Killers first started appearing. It did take me a while - well over 2 hours but perhaps I'm a bit slow. Very satisfying tho. More please. The old 9x9 Killers have suddenly lost their appeal. If you could somehow allow a bit more blank working space around the edges it would help.

I have now found the Mosaic hiding at the end. Thank you. Also glad the extra-large regular puzzles have gone. Never bothered printing them anyway.

Think I need a lie down now!

Sue
February 26, 2010 08:34PM
Wow! I'm very impressed - congratulations on completing the Killer 15! Two hours or thereabouts isn't a bad time at all.

You could try the prime number Killer Sudoku earlier on in the magazine next if you want a new Killer challenge. smiling smiley
February 26, 2010 09:19PM
Hi Sue, sorry to hear about your flu - congratulations on solving the Killer 15. It looks fascinating and I can't wait to get started on it - at the moment I'm just ploughing my way through the 8 grid calcudoku on Gareth's blog site - got three of the grids filled in so far - it's a bit of a marathon but I'm loving it!

Gareth - the magazine just gets better and better - all those new variations you keep putting in really do keep the brain cells ticking over, but glad to see you are keeping on the old favourites such as skyscraper, consecutive sudoku etc. The new odd pairs looks great too - you seem to have the knack of knowing which ones to keep in and which ones to change from time to time.winking smiley
sue
February 27, 2010 12:00PM
Hello Christine and Gareth

Thank you both for your sympathy and kind comments - the great thing about feeling a bit rough is I can sit and have a guilt-free puzzle without feeling I should be out doing something!

You have now both thrown down today's challenges so will attempt both your suggestions today in between nose blowing, paper reading and some serious sport watching.

Happy days!

Sue
sue
February 28, 2010 11:02AM
Christine - thanks for the pointing me to the 8 grid calc! A mighty challenge that took all day on and off. Very satisfying but heart in mouth as I filled in last few numbers waiting for it all to go wrong! Was stuck on the top two grids for a bit until inspiration struck.

Thanks for that one, Gareth. I haven't made much headway with the prime number Killer yet - genius idea but requiring quite a lot of (accurate!!) mental arithmetic. Interesting that the first 9 primes add upto 100 - coincidence, a cosmic grand plan or another prime number mystery (to me anyway)???
February 28, 2010 06:38PM
I'm loving issue 4 Gareth, and thanks again for the opportunity to include some of my puzzles.

I'd love to know what some of the readers think of the Shapely Skyscrapers. Are they good? Do you prefer the ones with all shapes and a couple clues, or a bunch of clues and a handful of shapes? Or both? Let me know as I'd love to tailor what I send to Gareth to the fans' liking!
February 28, 2010 08:37PM
Sue - glad you finished the giant calcudoku - I know what you mean about that feeling at the end when it could go wrong! It took me ages as well, but finished it in the end. As for the 15 x 15 Killer, flu or no flu, you did a better job than me - it took me a good three hours to complete, but a great feeling when it's finished! Definitely the sort of puzzle you have to be in a certain type of mood for, but great to have something different. Hope you're starting to feel better by the way. I haven't looked at the prime killer yet - so many puzzles to choose from - it's great!

Dave - your shapely skyscrapers are one of the next on my list so will give you some feedback shortly.
Sue
March 01, 2010 09:06PM
Hi Christine - Glad you enjoyed Killer 15 too. Was telling my Maths PGCE class about it today (Thanks I am better again) - some good puzzlers on the course - hopefully Gareth might get a few new subscribers. Not sure where they will find the time tho!

Keep puzzling. I've not much time this week sadly. Will try the shapely skyscrapers next - feedback soon(ish) Dave.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Sudoku Xtra ©Gareth Moore 2009 - email gareth@sudokuxtra.com - get puzzles for your own publication