Sudoku Xtra discussion forums
Back to main Sudoku Xtra site

Advanced

Issue 5 - negative number killer

Posted by sue 
sue
Issue 5 - negative number killer
April 11, 2010 08:48PM
Just finished the neg number Killer on page 16. A brilliant variant, Gareth. More of these would be really good. Much preferred to the prime number one in issue 4. Getting a bit weary of the normal killers now so this new idea breathes new life into this type. Anyone else agree?
Re: Issue 5 - negative number killer
April 13, 2010 09:27PM
Well done Sue on completing that one. How difficult/easy did you find it? I must admit, I'm struggling with the negative numbers. I've completed nearly all the left 3 x 3 boxes and also the right ones, but the ones in the middle are causing me a bit of a headache! Having said that, I think a bit more playing around with negative number combinations will help! I still enjoy the standard killers but I do agree that the variations add a whole new interest and so I wouldn't mind seeing more of these.
April 14, 2010 12:12AM
I really thought this would catch people out, so I'm pretty impressed that (Sue) you've solved it and (Christine) you've got that far!
sue
April 14, 2010 06:44PM
Gareth, I am very impressed that you are impressed but (I confess) I am a maths teacher so my mind works that way all day long. I would love some more of these tho.

Christine - the key to it (and I'm sure you sussed this already) is that each box/line adds to zero. I found it interesting to be think of all the combinations to make -2 say. It took a while and is fairly difficult but not impossible once you realise some have few options. I really can't remember the detail of which ones now - sorry not very helpful am I!

Good luck - its worth sticking with.
April 14, 2010 08:59PM
Hmm... now I wonder how well Killer Sudoku Pro with negative numbers would work... hmm... smiling smiley

Just added Killer Sudoku Pro to PuzzleMix, incidentally - only in the members' section to start with however.
April 15, 2010 07:28AM
I've just got an 'O' level in maths and used to hate it at school, but for some reason have got totally addicted to the number puzzles over the last few years! I will persevere with the puzzle - thanks for the encouragement - I had worked out that the rows/columns/boxes would add up to zero - I think what I need to do next is write down possible combinations for the different numbers. I'll let you know how I get on!
sue
April 15, 2010 10:46PM
Christine - glad you have found the joy of numbers (albeit a bit late!). Let me know how you get on. Have fun with it!
sue
April 15, 2010 11:06PM
Sorry Christine - just realised how terribly patronising my last comment sounded..... so sorry. Switched into Maths teacher mode which was quite uncalled for! Its been a long day.............. and have been writing reports. No excuse - wasn't thinking. Hope no offence taken
April 16, 2010 01:30AM
Well I have A-level, S-level and three degrees in maths-related subjects and I think it sounds like you're all better with the mental maths than me. smiling smiley
April 16, 2010 07:34AM
No offence taken whatsoever Sue (well apart from the "a bit late" bit - but I guess the 'O' level comment gave it away!!!) I don't envy you the reports Sue - I think I have the best job in the world - I am a teaching assistant in a yr 5/6 class so get to work with kids who are old enough to have a decent conversation with, but not too cheeky! I also get all those lovely holidays WITHOUT the planning and marking to fill the time! I have introduced some of the children to easy sudoku and kenken so am doing my bit to get the puzzle message spread!

That's an impressive set of qualification Gareth. It's interesting to find out what "puzzlers" backgrounds are - there always seem to be plenty of females do puzzles, considering that maths is often considered to be a 'male' subject. I have two sons who are both doing maths at uni. I suppose some maths must help with some of the more difficult puzzles, but mostly it is a question of logical thinking. I think I have definitely developped a bit more of that through doing puzzles, but there are times with very difficult puzzles that my brain will let me go no further!!!
April 25, 2010 10:11AM
Sue, I never did manage to complete this one unfortunately but I see Gareth has included another negative number killer in issue 6, so I am ready to do battle with it again - see if I can win this time!! Clarity Media have also sent in a Minus Sudoku which looks as though it could be tricky. I haven't had a go at it yet, but it looks interesting!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Sudoku Xtra ©Gareth Moore 2009 - email gareth@sudokuxtra.com - get puzzles for your own publication