Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Sudoku Xtra discussion forums
Back to main Sudoku Xtra site

Advanced

Labyrinth puzzles/Four squared puzzles

Posted by Christine 
Labyrinth puzzles/Four squared puzzles
December 17, 2010 10:08PM
I just wanted to say how much I have enjoyed the labyrinth puzzles again in this edition and to make a plea for them to keep coming! For someone who has never really got to grips with hanjie, I have become addicted to these puzzles and actually find I can do them! So thanks Nathan - hope you have some more to send in!!! smiling smiley

Really enjoyed Grant's Wild Labyrinth puzzles too and managed both of these on the second attempt. I would love to see more of these too, though possibly not much bigger than those - it is nice to get there in the end! smiling smiley

What next then? I think I'll have a go at Debbie's Four Squared puzzles. I was wondering why the product given for the row was not just given (i.e. 21, 216, 80 in the 3 x 3 example shown instead of 3 x 7, 2 x 2 x 2 x 3 x3 x3 etc)

EDIT Now I have done the first three of these puzzles it has come to me why the product has been written like that. I can be a bit slow sometimes! After doing trial and error on the first puzzle and taking ages, I suddenly realised that these prime number multiples gave valuable clues as to the numbers contained in that row, and it was fairly plain sailing from there on. Great fun smiling smiley

I'm really enjoying having a go at all the new puzzle types in the community section. Thanks to everyone sending them in.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2010 06:48PM by Christine.
Re: Labyrinth puzzles/Four squared puzzles
December 26, 2010 04:10AM
Glad you enjoyed the Four Squared puzzles eventually Christine! Debbie originally shared some of those puzzles with me several years ago, and a few were posted on The Griddle, but condensed to the notation x^n for each prime (2 x 2 x 2 x 3 x3 x3 written as 2^3 x 3^3, etc.) and it really made it harder to keep track of what prime pieces were already used. If one was short on space, I suppose the puzzle could be written like that, but Debbie convinced me for Sudoku Xtra that writing out the primes in a list was better.

Perhaps in the future we'll feature more of them, but next issue we'll be featuring some pentomino-placement puzzles inspired by experimental pentomino battleships instead - hopefully you'll enjoy those just as much!

Dave
Naughty Nathan
January 05, 2011 04:49PM
yay! thanks Christine, I'm really glad to hear someone likes them as much as me! grinning smiley

Gareth already has a few more Labyrinth puzzles "in the bank" that he can publish if and when he so desires, but I've also done some others which are on my blog if you want to try those too. My blog contains all sorts of other stuff, but here's the link to the specifically labyrinth related posts only:

http://www.naughtynathan.co.uk/?cat=11

there's only 3 puzzles on there as of 5th Jan 2011 sad smiley but I'll upload a load of new ones tonight. I think I even have a couple of 20x20s...
January 06, 2011 04:38PM
That's great news Nathan - will look forward to those. smiling smiley I've had bit of a labyrinth New Year! I got a a copy of Beyond Sudoku Mag with a few labyrinth puzzles in and a couple of 20 x 20s which were in my husband's Super Hanjie magazine, but as these are both bi-monthly magazines, my supply has dried up, They are great puzzles and nowhere else to be found that I know of, so it's good news to know that there is someone out there making some!!! Thanks!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Sudoku Xtra ©Gareth Moore 2009 - email gareth@sudokuxtra.com - get puzzles for your own publication