Advanced

thegriddler.../p433

Posted by Jeff Loeb 
Jeff Loeb
thegriddler.../p433
February 07, 2010 08:11PM
what's this, Dave?

I may have 'spoken too soon'

I tried it again. I could get the http://thegriddler.net part.

But the /p433 part gave me probs.

Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage

Most likely causes:
You are not connected to the Internet.
The website is encountering problems.
There might be a typing error in the address.

What you can try:
Diagnose Connection Problems

More information

This problem can be caused by a variety of issues, including:

Internet connectivity has been lost.
The website is temporarily unavailable.
The Domain Name Server (DNS) is not reachable.
The Domain Name Server (DNS) does not have a listing for the website's domain.
If this is an HTTPS (secure) address, click Tools, click Internet Options, click Advanced, and check to be sure the SSL and TLS protocols are enabled under the security section.

For offline users

You can still view subscribed feeds and some recently viewed webpages.
To view subscribed feeds

Click the Favorites Center button , click Feeds, and then click the feed you want to view.

To view recently visited webpages (might not work on all pages)

Click Tools , and then click Work Offline.
Click the Favorites Center button , click History, and then click the page you want to view.

----------

Jeff
Re: thegriddler.../p433
February 07, 2010 09:33PM
Hi Jeff,

The message you received is a standard message from your browser saying it couldn't find the page.

The problem you may be having is that you're going to the wrong web site. My site is thegriddle.net, NOT thegriddler.net. Take out the extra R and you should be able to get there.
Jeff Loeb
Re: thegriddler.../p433 (oops. THEGRIDDLE)
February 07, 2010 10:18PM
Dave,

Just the http://thegriddle.net works perfectly. But when I tack on the /p433 part, I encounter the same problem I had previously.

Maybe my problem is due to using an old version of Internet Explorer, and I might need to update my browser to IE8. I think I am using IE6.

Maybe my problem will "go away" on computers that are nearby. For example, in a cybercafe.

Jeff
February 07, 2010 11:37PM
I'm not sure what the problem would be, but I really recommend updating Internet Explorer. IE6 is well known to display pages incorrectly, open up a ton of security holes in your PC, and create other issues that have been fixed in later versions.

Here are some links that may help you:
Jeff Loeb
February 08, 2010 03:22AM
Dave:

My bad. THEGRIDDLE and not THEGRIDDLER.

"Before the slash works okay. It's adding the /p433 (or <p anything>winking smiley that gives me probs."

Maybe a cybercafe doesn't have this "connect problem". Perhaps the prob is in my computer

I'll see if using FACEBOOK.com "prompts me to update to IE8 or Firefox or Google Chrome".

Jeff
February 08, 2010 07:36AM
Just to say Dave that I too am having problems accessing your puzzles. I've been visiting your site since Gareth first mentioned it in his blog a couple of months ago and have had no trouble reaching the puzzles until the last week or so. The outside sum sudoku puzzle took me several attempts to access, and I've been unable to get the latest puzzles at all. Your home page comes up no problem but as soon as I press on a link to a puzzle, internet explorer refuses to respond - looks like the same problem Jeff's been having.

Edit: On my third attempt today, the site has finally decided to play ball and I have got the puzzles - now to try them out.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2010 08:57PM by Christine.
February 08, 2010 09:37PM
That's really weird. I'll see if there's an issue on the server that I need to adjust. Maybe soon I will have to do a bit of tweaking and fixing things.
jeff loeb
Re: thegriddle.net/p433
February 08, 2010 11:58PM
I can obtain the PDF files OK, davmiller. I hereby declare the "http://thegriddle.net/p433"; matter "put to rest"

I just call up http://thegriddle.net , and settle for "consolation prizes"

Jeff

PS. Sum Sudoku puzzle looks neat! I believe a book on "Sum Sudoku" by Dr. James Riley, is available, at least on amazon.com.
February 09, 2010 12:21AM
Alright. One last thing - if thegriddle.net/p# doesn't work, you can try thegriddle.net/puzzles/# instead. (Replacing # with the puzzle number, like 433.)
February 23, 2010 09:51PM
Hi Dave - just to say I've been to your site again and seen the Shapely Skyscrapers, but am having the same trouble as before - each time I click on the puzzle link my internet explorer doesn't respond and so I am unable to get them. They do sound intriguing though and I'm looking forward to the variants you are promising for issue 4 of Sudoku Xtra particularly as Skyscrapers are my flavour of the month at the moment!
February 24, 2010 01:21PM
Hi Christine,

I'm honestly not sure what the issue is. I tested the site along with a friend of mine in many different browsers on a few different Internet connections and computers and haven't had any problems with anything.

I've updated the whole site to use the format thegriddle.net/# so the /p# or /puzzles/# part is no longer needed, but I can't imagine that would be the problem. I'll keep testing different solutions with friends, but other than that I don't know what the problem could be. Sorry sad smiley

Dave
February 24, 2010 05:54PM
For what it's worth, I've had no problems with the site recently, although I did have an issue a while back (over a month now) where it randomly just wouldn't load (in both IE and Chrome), and this seemed not to be a general internet problem. I figured there was a DNS configuration issue, but if so it isn't there any more since I just checked all three listed nameservers and they all return the same A record, both with and without the www prefix. So that's no help, except to say that if there's a reason it isn't displaying for some people then at least it doesn't seem to be your fault. smiling smiley (the web pages themselves can't be rendered non-deterministically, after all!)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Sudoku Xtra ©Gareth Moore 2009 - email gareth@sudokuxtra.com - get puzzles for your own publication