Sudoku Xtra discussion forums
Back to main Sudoku Xtra site

Advanced

Shapely Skyscrapers - Issue 4

Posted by Christine 
Shapely Skyscrapers - Issue 4
March 01, 2010 09:06PM
Dave - feedback as promised!

I really enjoyed these puzzles - my favourite of your puzzles submitted so far. I found that the ones on the left which were entirely filled with shapes fell into place quite easily - I don't know how anyone else tackles them but I found it easiest to draw a set of the shapes next to each puzzle and then eliminate possibilities for each shape. However, I did find that for the ones on the right with fewer shapes I ended up drawing in some of the missing shapes to help visualise which possibilities needed to be eliminated, so in the event I was just making them look like the first grids, but this gave me an extra step to do. Great fun smiling smiley I would definitely like to do more - maybe with six or seven shapes (glutton for punishment!!)

Not that it matters, but there is a small typing error on the answer sheet - the final row of the last puzzle should start 4,5 and not 5,4.
Re: Shapely Skyscrapers - Issue 4
March 01, 2010 11:20PM
They're great puzzles, and I agree one of my favourites! I enjoyed the right-hand column the most, since I preferred not having all the shapes pre-drawn in. I'm very impatient and much prefer to have someone else already prune the puzzle to remove clues I don't need. smiling smiley Sorry about the typo in those solutions - I did check them but I tend not to check the bottom row of Sudoku-esque puzzles...

I've fixed the download version, so anyone who downloads from now on will get the updated solution.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2010 11:22PM by gareth.
Re: Shapely Skyscrapers - Issue 4
March 01, 2010 11:36PM
Thanks for the feedback Gareth and Christine. I'll aim to do more of the right-side puzzles then, and larger ones. I also learned from a visitor on my site that the left-side ones can be created to be solved with only 2 clues.

Anyway, I'll experiment with larger grids and see what happens from there!

Thanks for the heads up on the answer key too - fixed my copy as well. Sometimes I'm working on these at like 2 AM when I have insomnia and flip flop numbers or something. Sorry!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Sudoku Xtra ©Gareth Moore 2009 - email gareth@sudokuxtra.com - get puzzles for your own publication