Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Sudoku Xtra discussion forums
Back to main Sudoku Xtra site

Advanced

Issue 10 complete...

Posted by gareth 
Issue 10 complete...
September 04, 2010 12:34AM
Issue 10 is now complete - or at least all of the puzzle content is in, editorial written, decorative bits done... but I still need to lay out the solutions and do some final re-checking which I know better than to rush! I'm out tomorrow but might just get it out late tomorrow night, else I guarantee it will be online on Sunday! smiling smiley
sue
Re: Issue 10 complete...
September 04, 2010 08:53AM
Look fwd to seeing what new challenges are in store then......but you know we don't need the solutions Gareth! No really.....
September 04, 2010 08:42PM
I am sure it will be worth the wait this month (not that it isn't always) but from what you have already posted in the Coming Soon thread, this next issue sounds amazing - some of my favourite puzzles coming up in the community section - really looking forward to labyrinth, and have had a sneaky peek at Palmer Mebane's blog site to get a preview of the new loop puzzle. The community puzzle section alone sounds great and that's before we get to your '10' themed puzzles Gareth!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/2010 09:02PM by Christine.
September 05, 2010 09:44PM
And uploading now. It will be on the download page in less than 60 seconds.
September 06, 2010 02:17AM
Haha, yes I know the solutions aren't always needed but it's an important part of my checking process and sometimes I need to change the puzzles when I come to do the solutions for whatever reason so I can't distribute the main body until I've done the back part too. winking smiley (don't worry, I know you were joking!). I also realised this time for example that all of the Sudoku 10x10 puzzles were identical to the ones from issue 9 - in other words I'd forgotten to make new ones of those, so I went away and fixed it and that was a potential big mistake averted! Checking the solutions and puzzles correspond is a pretty good sanity check that generally catches a few things that would have crept into the finished magazine otherwise.
sue
September 06, 2010 07:24AM
Wow.............. really really can't wait to try those new ones - the X's look great and the 13X fantastic AND a consecutive samurai star (a fav of mine and others). Plus yet another listmaking killer! Thank you so much Gareth.

I have lovely visitors all this week but going to have to find a way to send them out alone for a few hours methinks!
September 06, 2010 08:44PM
Well I couldn't resist downloading issue 10 last night even though it was a return to work for me today after the six week school break (well at least it will make the magazine last longer!). There is so much in this month I just don't know where to start (I don't know about you Sue but I don't like to do my favourites immediately - I like to save them up a bit!) The highlights for me this month are going to be the SX yajilin, the consecutive samurai star and X consecutive, the 13 X and that wonderful looking Masyu that spells its name in the puzzle! You've set the bar particularly high this month Gareth - will take some beating another month!!!

Dave, you're doing a great job as community section editor, getting so many expert puzzlers on board! Can't wait to try out some of the new puzzles on offer this month. Sudoku Xtra is really encouraging me to branch out and try many different types of puzzles, some with more success than others. Great fun thumbs up
September 09, 2010 12:24AM
Yes, I'm really pleased with how issue 10 turned out! Even I can scarcely believe it has over 60 different types of puzzle in, counting each different Sudoku variant and size combination as different - which indeed they are. Even if you lump all the Sudoku variants together there are still a huge number of types in there!

It's now up on Lulu and its going through the approval and then waiting-to-appear process with Amazon.com right now.
sue
September 09, 2010 10:46AM
Was loving the 13X - completed 11 of them UNTIL IT ALL WENT WRONG..................*silently screaming*.

Just thought I'd share - good luck to the rest of you! Off for a quadruple espresso before big attempt to find error. Never say die (plenty of other things tho)

Sue
September 09, 2010 11:13AM
If you got that far it's extremely likely there's only a small mistake somewhere near to where you got stuck - so good luck! smiling smiley

Is it okay on A4 paper, that puzzle? I decided it would just about be big enough, but I'm interested in feedback - is including 13-grid puzzles in future a good idea?
sue
September 09, 2010 04:52PM
Hi Gareth - thank you, you were right. Silly error on recent numbers as rushing for the finishing line. Have now managed to spill tea over the page so waiting for it to dry out before having another go!

Puzzle is excellent - a little bit small but OK and certainly well worth putting up with that for the challenge. The X factor makes it really interesting. I kept expecting to find some patterns emerging but haven't spotted any yet. I don't think I would have been so tempted by a conventional Samarai 13x. I rarely do plain Samurai puzzles any more unless there is a variant involved, although I still enjoy the plain Samurai Star version.

Thx for tip. You may hear sounds of rejoicing from the direction of Oxford later...........Sue
September 13, 2010 06:08PM
Issue 10??? Who hit the time warp button? I haven't bought issue 9 yet!

Scrambling now.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Sudoku Xtra ©Gareth Moore 2009 - email gareth@sudokuxtra.com - get puzzles for your own publication